|View printer-friendly version|
Con Edison Reminds Customers to Use Energy Wisely
Con Edison advises customers to take the following steps:
* Check for drafts in houses and apartments and seal leaks with caulking or weather stripping to keep your home cool.
* Remember to shut off computers, VCRs and CD players. When they are in the "on" mode they use energy even if you are not using them.
* When buying a new air conditioner, look for the Energy Star® label to ensure the unit is energy-efficient. Adjust the air conditioner temperature control so that the room gets no cooler than 78 degrees. A 75-degree setting costs 18% more. A 72-degree setting costs 39% more.
* If you are only using the room where the air conditioner is located, close the doors to other rooms. Make sure your windows are tightly shut.
* Use reflective film on your windows. It blocks about 75% of the sun's rays, easing the load on your air conditioner.
* Use the washer, dryer or dishwasher only when you have a full load. Keep the lint filters clean in your washer and dryer for more efficient operation.
|Print Page | RSS Feeds | E-mail Alerts|