NEW YORK - Con Edison asks all its customers to take some simple steps to
reduce their use of electricity during the heat wave, which is expected to
continue through the end of the week.
The company reminds customers not to waste electricity during this time of
exceedingly high electrical demand. Con Edison advises customers to take
the following steps:
- Make sure air conditioner filters are clean so the machines will run
at peak efficiency.
- Set thermostats no lower than 78 degrees: each degree lower
increases cooling costs by 6 percent. Shut off your air conditioner when
you go out and use a timer to turn it on about a half-hour before arriving
- Use fans instead of air conditioners. Fans use from 70 to 90
percent less energy than air conditioners.
- Turn off lights and other appliances when you're not at home.
- Close shades or blinds to prevent the sun from adding more heat to